Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Escapism


Sometimes the light can be so astoundingly bright on a summer day here in Maine that when you retreat to the shade, the memory becomes something other worldly. When I paint a memory, it's a meditative process and oftentimes I end up with something quite far from reality. These days it's usually a peaceful scene. Is this a form of escapism?

I looked up escapism in Websters on-line to find out if it was the correct word for my particular situation. It turns out, Websters has three definitions for three groups of people.

Definition for people like me: habitual diversion of the mind to purely imaginative activity or entertainment as an escape from reality or routine

Definition for English language learners: an activity or form of entertainment that allows people to forget about the real problems of life

Definition for children: a habit of thinking about purely imaginary or amusing things in order to escape from reality or everyday matters

This whole thing is a bit unsettling because it occurs to me that I may indeed be addicted to painting as a form of escapism.

Escapism • 8" x 8" gouache framed to 12" x 12" • $200

No comments:

Post a Comment