Monday, April 18, 2016

SOLD - Robins


I was looking out my window in Kingfield last week and saw what looked like 20 robins foraging in the back yard. I had planted a couple of rows of peas and spinach, so I knew the ground had thawed. Guess the robins figured out that where I dig, there must be worms.

Though the robin was always the first bird I noticed in the spring when I was a kid, a lot of robins hang around all winter these days. Could be a climate change thing, because American plains' tribes attributed robin sightings to the return of the sun - the beginning of spring. It's red chest was symbolic of the rising of the sun, its bright yellow beak of the sun's rays lighting the earth with hope. 

Some tribes believed the sun rose and set on the wings of the robin.  Others believed the white ring around the red robin's eye was symbolic of prophetic vision, clarity, and great wisdom.

I was going to do a quick sketch of a robin or two out in the yard - but found myself captivated by their features. They really are beautiful birds. Sad to say, I always thought they were kind of boring. Not anymore.

Here's a link to their song - it's a nice compliment to the sweet chickadee tweet before the snowbirds return and it gets so clamorous out there it's hard to hear the individuals.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_Robin/sounds 


Robins • 8" X 8" acrylice framed to 12" X 12"• $250

No comments:

Post a Comment