Monday, May 23, 2016

#255 Just a Duck Pond



My daughter was here last summer on a rare trip home. We decided to spend a few days on the hunt for Maine's best lobster roll under the guise of a mission to visit areas in the state she had never been to before. It was too hot, even for a beach day, and the only relief was my car's air conditioning. So it only made sense to meander along the mid-coast of this great state looking for the perfect lobster roll.

Along the way we passed this beyond real and idyllic-looking duck pond out toward Orr's Island. I jumped out to take a quick pic. We were both getting cranky with hunger and thirst at that point, so I really had no time to study the subject. In fact, I hadn't revisited this photo until now, when upon closer inspection, I saw a duck head, or so it seems, in the opening of the duck house. It brought to mind a film I saw back in the 60s called Blowup. In that film, a photographer thinks he has accidently taken a photo of a murderer - a face that appears as he is developing the image of a seemingly innocent-looking park scene. It could be a man's face that appears in the leafy background of his photo, or not. In any case, it was an extremely tense one and a half hours.

For fear of incriminating the duck and endangering my own life, I decided not to include the duck in my sketch.

Just a Duck Pond • 8" X 8" acrylic framed to 12" X 12" • $250

No comments:

Post a Comment