Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Stormy Sky


I don't know about your neck of the woods, but I've seen some astounding cloud displays this summer. A lot of them are to the west, north and east of us here in Portland. When I'm out for my evening walk I will catch one now and again.  Though I generally don't paint skies, some of these are worthy of documentation - I can't make this stuff up.

A lot of times me and fellow storm watchers will track electrical storms from the park just up the road on North Street. The park looks out over the city, the airport and Mt. Washington. The storms will sometimes cross west of us so we can watch the light show without getting hit, though I must say that watching without threat does take some of the drama out of the whole thing. Isn't there a part of us all that is mesmerized by the brute force of nature and still hold within our bodies an addiction to a good adrenaline rush?

I caught this action off the Eastern Prom. There were no flashes and booms this time. It was just stunningly and simply beautiful.

Stormy Sky • 8" x 8" acrylic framed to 12" x 12" • $200

No comments:

Post a Comment