Friday, April 19, 2013

Sleep and the Full Moon


My 11 year old neighbor Harry and I had a long discussion during an early morning walk about whether or not the moon disturbs our sleep.

I said it did and that I was the proof. I never sleep on the nights when the moon is full or new for that matter. He said it's all bunk and that there are scientific studies that support his bunking. I argued that we are 75 percent water and therefore must get pulled the same way tides do. He bunked me again - there is no proof he said.

Evidently he's right, except one scientist did theorize that the moon's gravitational pull might pull us all off kilter twice a day as it does the tides, but how would we know if we're asleep? I will say I have noticed that there are days I have a tough time staying upright when I pull my socks on from a standing position. Of course who would ever think to check the moon cycle and tide chart.

Another theory states that in ancient times, a full moon kept our outdoor-living ancestors awake all night and that we never really got over it. I haven't posed this one to Harry yet, but would be interested in what he had to say. It would certainly keep me awake and more vigilant if I knew a nocturnal predator like the prehistoric sabre tooth tiger was out there circling my little camp drooling and licking its chops.

In the meantime and in between discussion, I painted this as probably the last full moon with snow on the ground until next winter. I was wide awake all night of course.

Sleep and the Full Moon • 8" x 8" framed to 12" x 12" • $200

No comments:

Post a Comment