Monday, May 12, 2014

SOLD - The Cardinal of Munjoy Hill


Ever hear a sound and say to yourself - wow, that's freakin' amazing! For me it used to be stuff like the first time I heard "The  Last Time," by the Stones. Yesterday it was the Northern Red Cardinal.

For those of you who have heard a Northern Red Cardinal sing, you know what I'm talking about when I say wow! It's loud, clear and rises well above the regular spring ruckus around here on the Hill. I've been guessing the bird to be either a Baltimore Oriole or a Scarlet Tanager. (All red birds flitting through the trees look the same to me, and those were the only two red birds I knew). Yesterday I finally took the time to identify the song, and hence, the bird.

This is a quick sketch of what the male looks like - he's the one I've seen around the Hill, though there's got to be a female somewhere. I also added a link where you can hear all of it's songs and some other interesting and related info:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9LNexIoCW0


The Cardinal of Munjoy Hill • 8" x 8" acrylic framed to 12" x 12"• $200

No comments:

Post a Comment