Tuesday, June 24, 2014

SOLD - In the Garden


I've been rummaging around in my flower gardens the past two weekends trying to clean them up. They're a mess. Overgrown, overwhelmed by weeds and totally unruly, they fit my personality perfectly, and unfortunately.

My neighbor Sheryll's flower gardens are superb. Well placed, color coordinated and beautifully designed, they are the antithesis of mine. But we compliment each other I think. I tempt her to loosen up a bit. She's British and can't help having a proper garden. It's in her blood. Hers makes me think maybe I should put more thought in to what I'm doing - be more conscious and perhaps a bit more serious. Gardening is an art form after all, her gardens say.

This sketch is of a woman gardener I saw on Monhegan Island. She was older and fully engrossed in the work at hand. Her garden bordered on out of control, but wasn't. It looked wild but not quite. Maybe I'll aspire to something Zen but not altogether Zen.

In the Garden • 8" x 8" watercolor and gouache framed to 12" x 12" • $200

No comments:

Post a Comment