Thursday, June 11, 2020

#387 • The Old Fart and the Heron

  Click here to purchase this painting #387

This painting was inspired by a sailor I know - name never to be divulged for obvious and libelous reasons, and a special experience Tom and I had on our boat with one of his favorite feathered friends.

It was a beautiful sunny Maine morning out on North Haven island. I was cooking up some blueberry pancakes down in the galley when I sensed a not-usually-there-and-moving-but-staying-in-place-shadow cross the cockpit out of the corner of my eye. I then heard what sounded like something out of Jurassic Park. As I cautiously peeked wide-eyed around the edge of the companionway, I was surprised by a hulking presence perched on the lifeline. I quickly ducked back inside and waved Tom over - for protection of course!

We then both cautiously peeked around the companionway like two kids sure they were going to see a buzzard, me with my spatula just in case. Much to our great surprise we saw an immature heron balancing on our port side lifeline. Normally very shy, and certainly not what one would imagine to be as agile and athletic as a tightrope walker based on shape alone, I think the little one - though not so little, was just plain clueless about the do's and don'ts of human interaction.

Of course it flew away after one more peek, but we were both blown away by this visitation.

The Old Fart and the Heron • 8" X 8" acrylic framed to 12" X 12" • $250


No comments:

Post a Comment