Saturday, October 16, 2021

#419 • The Sunflower

 

Click here to purchase this painting #419
 
I was tending to my sunflowers recently, and one in particular - the tallest, caught my eye. It, like the others, had survived an onslaught of drought and pestilence this summer. It is not perfect, or even beautiful compared to others I've seen. It's lower leaves are chewed and full of irregular holes and unsightly spots. I cut them off to open up other flowers to light. Petals are thin and curling. But those irregularities and scars are what makes it interesting to me.

I feel the same way about a lot of things. Acceptance of things as they are gives us permission to accept imperfection in ourselves. Nature reminds us that we the imperfect can be out there saying, mostly to ourselves, yeah well, I'm interesting!

The Sunflower Lesson • 8" x 8" acrylic framed to 12"x 12" • $275

No comments:

Post a Comment