Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A Lake in Maine

On my way up to Kingfield, where I forfeited a weekend of much needed sun to work on our garden, I passed through the Belgrade Lakes region. I forgot my camera and missed a beautiful shot. The sky was gray, the water on the lake along the road was gray, but somehow the colors were astoundingly beautiful. And then I chuckled because it reminded me of one summer my family spent on a lake in Maine back in the 60s. My dad, who thought he was doing all of us a big favor in buying a "camp on a lake in Maine," flew up on weekends. As it turned out he was doing himself a big favor. It rained every day, all day, all summer. My mother, on the brink of a nervous break down, and four out-of-control hoodlums were stuck together like flies on a miniscule piece of fly paper all day and all night for two solid months. But that's the subject of another blog.

Anyway, I'm finding it exceedingly hard these days not to paint mud. But carry on we must.

A Lake in Maine • 8" x 8" watercolor framed to 12" x 12" • $200

No comments:

Post a Comment