Sunday, August 28, 2011

Whenever I feel Afraid


We're in a hurricane right now. Her name is Irene. It's mostly windy and raining here in Portland, but the folks west of here are getting pummeled and they are scared. The river is rolling over Route 27, jumping the banks and collapsing bridges up in Carrabassett Valley. Our field is flooded and the garden and orchard are gone. But Tom, Harry and Russell saved our tomatoes and they and everyone I know are safe.

It's hard for me to remember I'm not top dog when in the company of Mother Nature. And whenever Mother Nature scares the hell out of me like she is right now, I repeat May The Force Be With You 100 times and whistle this song which always pops into my head.  It's the one from the The King and I - whenever I feel afraid, I strike a careless pose and whistle a happy tune so no one ever knows I'm afraid. I'm almost embarrassed but it's the truth, this is what I do.

This time as I whistled I put down my idea of a safe, serene and peaceful place. Not even Mother Nature can take that away from me or any of you hardy souls over there in Western Maine.

Whenever I Feel Afraid • 8" x 8" watercolor framed to 12" x 12" • $200

No comments:

Post a Comment